Thursday, September 23, 2010

I wanted...I bought...I made


A small hiatus in the blog - had a glamorous time in Dorset at Summer Lodge, where the salted butter has a few granules of salt on top, and the unsalted butter is formed into a perfect golden tomato. Had to check it wasn't actually tomato butter. *cough*

So this week I have things to plan around. Sunday is food chain so Saturday night will be something fairly fuss free. Am tossing up between chicken curry - I have curry sauce in the freezer - and sausage sandwiches. Both simple but went for beef and marrow burgers with salad. Sunday night a simple roast, thinking pork with cauliflower cheese - I have cheese sauce in the freezer - and roasted sweet potatoes. Easy peasy and a lunchbox delight due to some overindulgence on the wine front after food chain dinner was slightly undercooked (but the crackling was perfect). Monday I think steamed tofu and cabbage and rice - I have cooked rice in the freezer which returns to perfect with a few minutes steaming made a pork and paprika stew with refried potatoes both marfona and sweet. Tuesday we are out to see Faust at the Young Vic - very excited. Quite brilliant - go if you can. Wednesday I quite fancy dal and fritters or stuffed baby aubergines intended the dal but discovered about 7pm we had no red lentils so the crisis on the catering front was resolved with a fine spinach omelette and garlic potatoes, Thursday I think noodle stir fry - had the steamed tofu, cabbage and rice we didn't have Monday. Friday omelette and salad. Because I love omelette and salad. But having had omelette once we will have noodles stir fried with shitake and cabbage. Which I also love.

On the bus I decided what I'd really like for dinner was neither curry nor sausages but some of the fab beef and marrow burgers they've been making through the summer at the Ginger Pig, only to discover they didn't have any. Woe. Did have beef and marrow bones so bought that, with Charlie telling me to put the bones into warm water for a few minutes then PUSH! And hey presto, I had marrow. Also bought a piece of pork leg, as there was no pork shoulder left, all sold Friday apparently. I blame Hugh Fearnley Whittinstall for extolling it's virtues on Channel 4 this week. Spent £21.03

Then to Ted's veg for potatoes, cauliflower, parsnips and carrots - £3.40

Eggs from Wild Beef - £1.50

But Isle of Wight tomatoes had no corresponding garlic which is a blow, now that Booths is gone there is such a gap in my shopping plan at Borough.

Milk and pasta from Neals Yard - £6.60

Bread from Flour Power - £1.10

Then straight back on the bus! Spent a mere £33.63 but there will be other costs in the week

1 comment:

Colton said...

Thank you forr sharing