Monday, June 15, 2009

Singapore style spare ribs


Fancied spare ribs a few weeks ago and then could not get them at Borough for love or money. (Money usually works!) Then on Saturday as I was just about ready to pay I noticed Ginger Pig had a pile and so I could not resist. Wanted them hot and sticky and chinesey like I've made for many many years using a recipe from Charmaine Solomon's Complete Asian Cookbook. I cannot resist a dish that requires chewing on bones, gnawing away for the pleasure of tiny bits of succulent meat and meantime getting sticky fingers and a messy face. Total pleasure.

Spiced Spareribs
About a kilo of spareribs, split
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 1/2 tspn salt
1/2 tspn ground black pepper
1/2 tspn five spice powder
1 tbspn honey
1 tbspn sesame oil
3 tbspns light soy sauce
1/2 hot water

Combine the crushed garlic with salt, pepper, fvie spice, honey, sesame oil and soy. Put the meat into a roasting pan and rub the honeyed spices well into spareribs. Put the pan into a moderate oven, gas 4, and cook for about half an hour.

After 30 minutes, turn the pareribs, add hot water to the pan and continue roasting, basting every ten minutes for another half an hour or so, till the ribs are golden and sticky.

Serve with boiled rice and some plum sauce if you have it, and definitely lots of napkins.

4 comments:

Helen said...

oh my goodness Bron they SO GOOD! I wanted ribs really badly the other week and couldn't get them. I'm constantly searching for short ribs as well and I've heard the ginger pig may do them - I'm going to check it out because they are just not sold often in this country.

bron said...

And they make the whole flat smell divine as they cook!

Find it increasingly difficult to get ribs at will, not sure why. Northfields don't sell them at all :( You can always try ordering in advance at the Ginger Pig - just call them and ask to keep some for you. They will alwayshelp if they can.

Jeanne said...

Nothing like gnawing on a bone to satisfy your carnivorous cravings - and I find a spare rib bone usually works best ;-) Sounds heavenly!

bron said...

Sparerib bones definitely fit the bill - I love the way you end up so pleasurably sticky that you really HAVE to lick your fingers!