Thursday, May 06, 2010

Meatloaf with Peppers and Parmesan


This is a fabby little loaf that I made for our lunchboxes this week. As I'd already opened a jar of piquillo peppers to make some red pepper humous I wanted to use the rest of them soon as. It is criminal to waste such fine things. It chimed with my recent purchase of Anna del Conte's book Amaretto, Apple Cakes and Artichokes, a truly fabulous collection of some of her best recipes. When your starting point is as high as hers, the presentation of the best is really something to enjoy. If I say this recipe particularly caught my eye I'd be lying - I plan to try pretty much all of them at some point, it is simply that this one is first.

Meatloaf with Peppers and Parmesan

500g lean minced beef
250g lean minced pork
50g finely grated parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
2 eggs
Either 3 multi coloured fresh peppers, grilled and peeled or half a jar of roasted piquillo peppers
Salt and pepper
Olive oil for greasing the pan

Mix the meats, cheese, garlic and eggs till it is all combined. Use your hands - it's easier and quite delightful in a squishy kind of way. Season generously - this will be eaten cold, so it needs more seasoning than it would if hot.

Grease a 1 litre loaf tin then put half the mixture in the bottom. Pat it down firmly to avoid air holes. Arrange the peppers in a layer then cover them with the rest of the meat mixture. Pat down firmly and then tap the tin heavily onto the work top a couple of times to settle the loaf. If there are air holes it will break up when you slice it.

Heat the oven to gas 4/180C. Put the loaf into the centre of the oven and cook for about an hour. It will shrink away from the sides.

Take the pan from the oven, drain away the juice that has collected in the bottom, then let the loaf cool in the tin. Wrap it in foil and refrigerate.

And that's it. Five minutes prep, delightfully Italian flavour.

I made a bowl of cannelini bean and fresh herb salad and we had baby plum tomatoes and radishes for colour for a proper lunch time treat all week.

2 comments:

chaiselongue said...

Mmmm! That sounds and looks delicious - I must try it. There often seem to be a few peppers left in a jar in the fridge. And soon I hope we'll have fresh ones in the garden.

bron said...

You're in a warmer part of the world to me chaiselongue - I've yet to even sprout my pepper seeds.

My frequent fall back for the last of the peppers is with hot chorizo and rocket sandwiches, always a delight.