Monday, January 22, 2007

And this week ... I bought


The market was remarkably quiet again on Saturday - lovely for us, less so for the traders. We started at Ginger Pig, as usual, and bought a good piece of boned, rolled shoulder pork to roast and John gave me an extra piece of rind to make extra crackling which delighted me because I am a greedy pig and simply love crackling, I also bought some braising steak, unsmoked bacon oysters and eggs - £17.50 We had a proper Sunday roast with the extra crackling going with cold slices of pork for lunchboxes

We bought Parma ham and buffalo mozzarella from the Italian stall - £7.50 Lunch Saturday was particularly fine with just some buttered ciabatta added

Carrots from Total Organics - 80p - Lunchbox crunch

I'm currently engrossed in Heston Blumenthal's book Perfect - a christmas gift from the lovely boyfriend who knows how to make me smile - and he talks about Yukon Gold being the perfect potato for roasting. Armed with this snippet I headed to Booths and asked the guy who owns it if he had any. He laughed and said you've been reading The Times. No, I said, Heston. Ah, he said, bloody big book for six recipes and no, I have no Yukon Gold. Had some last year for a while and couldn't sell them. I'm hoping he may reconsider. Onions, potatoes - red skins not gold fleshed, sugarsnap peas, cucumber, cavolo nero, green beans from Booths - £6.70 - Potatoes and cabbage as well as roasted butternut - that's been sitting in the vegetable rack for weeks - made a splendid supper Sunday night Cucumber and peas for lunchboxes

Scotch egg - big fat and round - from Ginger Pig - £3 - Snacking delight

Bread and milk from Neals Yard - £7.20 - One loaf for Saturday lunch and one a chewy wholemeal loaf for the freezer

Chocolate brownie and a croissant from Flour Power - £2.50 - That was breakfast sorted

A total of £45.20 - not bad at all

No comments: