Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Beansprout & Sesame Salad


After I abandoned the plan to make a bali salad Sunday night I was left with the bag of beansprouts I had bought to go into it. They're not expensive, it's true, but they do collapse into inedible slime within a few days and I wanted to use them not bin them. I was planning chinese for Monday night so that was a fairly obvious opportunity but at the same time I fancied something a little more interesting than a quick stirfry. Too easy, obviously.

So I consulted my trusty South East Asian Cookbook and found this Korean recipe for sprouts quickly blanched then made special with a sesame and honey dressing. Took a bit longer than just a quick stirfry, obviously, but worked better and tasted great. A good one for the repertoire.

Bean Sprout Salald

500g fresh bean sprouts
1 tbspn sesame oil
1 tbspn olive oil
1 tbspn crushed toasted sesame seeds
3 tbspns light soy sauce
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 spring onions, very finey sliced
1 tspn honey or sugar
Dash of chilli or cayenne pepper

Wash bean sprouts and nip off the worst of the stringy tails.

Bring a pan of lightly salted water to the boil, add the sprouts and return to the boil for 1 minute. Drain sprouts in a colander and rinse under cold water. Drain well.

Combine all the other ingredients for the dressing and toss with the sprouts.
Chill before serving.

This dressing would work really well with all manner of crispy veg and noodles.

No comments: